4.28.2011

Not So Much, pt. 2

So, I felt the need to follow-up to my previous post about Carol's Daughter's new choices for spokeswomen.

The message in now pt. 1 is this... if we are going to preach diversity then we must back it up.
THIS >>> <<< IS NOT DIVERSITY

Why Can't Cassie talk about her [straight hair wanting curly hair] stress troubles?
She can, but that is really... not... considered... diversity within the black woman community. Walk down the street in a predominantly black neighborhood and ask 10 black women who you come across do they wish for curly hair because their naturally straight hair just isn't doing it for them and leave the results in the thoughts section... Don't worry... I'll wait.

Why is it a crime to have good hair and actually say it?
Well, for starters, the fact that you feel the terms "good hair" and "bad hair" are justifiable and are okay to use still in 2011 is reason enough. By now, there should be some knowledge that every woman can attain healthy, well-moisturized and manageable hair with time, effort and the right products. Thinking you actually HAVE "good hair," says a lot without saying much. But maybe that's just me... *kanye shrug*

This roundtable was an accurate depiction of how these specific women deal with their hair issues...
Yes.

Not all Black women have kinky hair...
*side eye* Right ....... *waiting*....

And so, let me again state... these 3 women have their own stories, yes, however, when choosing 3 women that embody the narrative shared by many black women in America (and beyond) about their hair, I'm going to need to see a wider spectrum of hues, hair grades, and stories that represent the majority rather than not. There's no way I can be convinced Cassie had to sit in a kitchen for hours as a little girl, getting her hair pressed at the stove and getting coconut pressing grease put on her ear because she got burnt. GTFOH. There ain't no way!

I too agree there is Beauty in Diversity, but Solange, Cassie and Selita put together in a 3-piece combo are not when speaking on African American women hair experiences in America. I then have to question, whose story is being told, which can bring me to a whole 'nother post, but I'll digress for now.

THIS is diversity

THIS is Diversity

THIS is Diversity

Even THIS is Diversity!

But the new Carol's Daughter trio is not. I'm not attempting to exclude or single out any black women or their experiences out of this discussion, that's not my intent. BUT, if we're going to go-in for something than let's go all the way, and let's do it right because we all (should) know by now, the World is always watching us. Black women already have to deal with the hot mess images continuously shown on TV of us being gold diggers, baby mama's, sexual objects and the like. When we have opportunities to represent ourselves correctly, I think we need to do a better job of promoting as much as we can of the truth as WE ALL know it to be and this attempt did the exact opposite.

Now... "Anonymous"... I thought I'd give you a bit of entertainment at the end of my ranting... so enjoy and have a good one! Paz


1 comment:

ALD said...

What is Selita Ebanks really saying? So she had an identity crisis because she was so lightskin so she use to envy the girls who could wrap there hair without pins? I'm so confused about this statement. Can you connect her thoughts for me?