9.29.2010

Fresh Pair of J's

I have an issue with Jordans and I don’t know why. I’ve always had this issue and borderline disgust but it wasn’t until today that I was able to pinpoint the root of such disgust.


My friend asked me the first thing that came to mind after reading the following statement…

“new jordans, no lights on”

I read it and then I got it. Eureka! I got the answer for why I have never ever purchased a pair of Jordans in my life. I grew up in west l.a., went to high school across from sportie l.a. and was an athlete involved in 3 sports and NEVER bought a pair… ON PURPOSE.

This origin of disgust is as follows… Jordans represent keeping up with the jones’, f**ed up priorities, no progress and only concerning oneself with looking fly and being able to say “I had them first” Jordans have caused people who have never went camping to sleep outside of a store to get a new pair, they have caused families to purchase a bag of tea lights because the lights wouldn’t be on this week, they have caused people to get beat up, shot or killed over some soles and a name. And for what?

But I’m not perfect and as I sat here thinking about this post, I questioned myself… How is it I will drop 600 + on a pair of Miu Miu’s, 250 on some Tory Burch’s but I cannot justify buying some damn sneakers for that much. I can’t stand Jordans, so much, I bought a pair of LA GEARS (in 2009) that were right next to the Jordan display and was proud. I can’t do it. I just can’t. Omg how they irk me.

And now you may say, well what about chic becoming the first woman (African American at that) to design a Jordan shoe… will you get a pair then? HEK NO. I don’t like the design. Big ups to her for the gr8 accomplishment but I’m cool. I will stick to my plan and go get me another pair of Tory Burch flats this weekend.

O and another thing to think about…. I can wear my Burch’s to work but when was the last time you saw somebody rockin’ a pair of J’s at the job (in a corporate setting)…

No comments: